Metamora Township was settled in 1831, organized in 1838 and covers 35.32 square miles in Southern Lapeer County Michigan, just south of Oxford, MI in North Oakland County. Metamora currently consists of beautiful, rolling property, some subdivisions, lake front homes an a quaint, historic village that is a registered historic landmark.
The 1874 county atlas shows there were 2 saw mills and 24 springs plus 2 mineral springs. The first fox hunt took place in 1908; in 1910 Metamora set a speed limit of 8 mph; in approximately 1872 the Michigan Central Railroad built its line through Metamora; and the Village of Metamora was a stage coach stop at one time.
The Village of Metamora was settled in approximately 1837 to 1843- the exact year is in dispute. By 1874 Metamora has 271 residents. In 2000 the Village of Metamora had
and the Township of Metamora had a
population of 4,184
. The Village of Metamora, MI covers a little over 1/2 square mile (.66) and is located within the Township of Metamora, MI.
3 1/2 acres located at the 4 corners created by Metamora Rd (Oak St.) and Dryden Rd. (High St.), AKA Metamora Crossroads Historic District, made the national registry as a historic landmark in 1984.
Just a few miles east, a person can enjoy General Squier Park, an 80 acre county park in neighboring Dryden, MI. Enjoy the 60 acres of nature trails, the Mill Race water park, the lighted sledding hill and skating rink, and much more. Also located in nearby Dryden, just a few minutes from the Village of Metamora, is Seven Ponds Nature Center - 468 acres with over 5 miles of trails. The Seven Ponds are seven small glacial lakes, connected by streams and channels.